Saturday, July 19, 2008

Forward Progress

Well, the packing process is finally moving forward. I've actually packed a couple of boxes...feeling pretty psyched about that. (Procrastination is my middle name when it comes to packing.) So anyway, I thought I would reward myself and tell you about some more of my vacation.

We left the prairies and headed toward the Rockies. This was my favorite part of the whole trip. The Canadian Rockies are indescribably beautiful. We stopped to take some pictures of the mountains reflected in this beautiful dam. A little bit further down the road we actually passed a black bear right down the bank on the other side of the road. Unfortunately, it was difficult to manipulate the car into a place where a picture could be taken. Kent wasn't too keen on the idea of getting out and taking a picture...I'm not sure why????

We drove on to Lake Morraine which is close to Banff and Lake Louise. Lake Morraine is surrounded by 10 peaks. It was absolutely beautiful and the lake was so calm. I was jealous of those who were out kayaking and canoeing because it looked like a lot of fun. We had to keep going though so we headed down the mountain and on to Revelstoke in British Columbia. Along the way, I saw another two bears traipsing across the mountain. At one point, after climbing through the mountains, someone looked back and saw this view. So of course, we stopped and that's when we realized that the car was overheating. Unfortunately, instead of leaving it to cool off, we opened the cap on the radiator and got an explosion of coolant. This began a succession of filling it up with water and having it overflow...probably very comical if you were an onlooker. Anyway, God knew we were in need of a little assistance and sent a couple who were on their way to Revelstoke. They offered to help and had a working cellphone (mine was dead and Kent couldn't get service) so we called for a tow truck. They were also willing to take my Mom and I on to Revelstoke while Kent and Dad waited on the tow truck.

While waiting, Kent found a perfect mountain spring for a drink of crisp and cool mountain water.

In spite of getting towed into Revelstoke, my dad decided the next day that it was okay to continue with the car. We eventually did have to replace the radiator but not until we got to Vancouver Island.

We picked up my cousin Cheryl in Abbotsford and took the ferry to Vancouver Island. We had a good time visiting with my Aunt Nina and cousins, Cheryl and Ron. Here are the cousins! Unfortunately, Kent had to go back to work at this time so he ditched us just before some more beautiful mountain scenery. More on that next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...