Saturday, January 29, 2011

What TCKs Talk About Over Lunch

Yesterday, I enjoyed a picnic lunch at the Niamey Zoo.  I found myself seated next to a third grade girl from Pakistan and a fourth grade girl from Switzerland.  Both girls have spent the majority of their lives living outside their passport country so they definitely qualify as genuine third culture kids (TCKS).  They began by commenting on how cool it was that they had both brought their lunch in the backpack they had received when they flew Air Emirates.  Then we talked about the food on Air Emirates which somehow led into a conversation about how many countries they had been to.  They are 9 and 10 years old and this definitely qualifies as important stuff in their world.  The ten year is old is almost a third my age and she's already got me beat.  I tallied up 11 countries visited or lived in for myself and she had about 13 or 14 and to top it off she rode a yak in one of them.  There was no way I could compete with that!  :)

Third Culture Kids are amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...