Monday, May 21, 2012

When I Get a Glimpse

Not every discussion in our Second Grade leads to the deepest of spiritual truths or application. That is definitely true of the way this morning's devotional time went as we somehow made our way from the woman who bled for twelve years to someone knowing a Bible story about a person who took a bath on the roof.  Honestly, I don't know what the connection was but once we had made it I tried to turn the conversation around.  However, my Second Graders insisted on discussing the merits of bathing on the roof.  It was concluded, and rightly so, that in this context that would not be a good idea because your toosh would be burning!  Ah yes, it wasn't deep or spiritual but we surely arrived at a simple truth. :)

In Bible, we have followed the book of Genesis through creation to the establishment of the covenant with Abraham to the Exodus of the Israelites.  This afternoon we pulled out a model tabernacle.  I had introduced the tabernacle and its different parts to them last week but had promised that we would talk about how each one pointed the way to Jesus and God's plan to restore relationship with us through him.  They were excited to learn more and loved remembering many of Jesus' "I am" statements and how they related to the different parts of the tabernacle.  Then we skipped ahead and talked about the fact that when Jesus died the veil in the temple was torn in two and how we can now have a direct relationship with God.  After reflecting a bit, I encouraged my Second Graders to pray and thank God for the truths that the tabernacle reveal.  As they prayed, I couldn't help but think that those prayers must have been sweet to the ears of God.  Each one that prayed thanked God for making a way for us to know him personally.

Yes, the truths aren't always deeply spiritual but when God gives me a glimpse of what He is teaching them and when I hear their sincere prayers it gives me great joy.

"For what is our hope, our joy, or the crown in which we will glory in the presence of our Lord Jesus when he comes?  Is it not you?  Indeed, you are our glory and joy."  1 Thessalonians 2:19-20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...