Sunday, February 24, 2013

Cruising through Freeport

On Monday I was still looking for my perfect Caribbean sunrise.


Hmm...where are those beautiful beaches I was picturing?  Ahh well, God put on a show even if the scenery below wasn't jaw dropping.
 
This port was clearly an industrial port and unlike Nassau in that you could not leave the ship and walk right into town.  It took about a 15 minute drive by van to reach the tourist section of town.  We spent the first part of our day shopping and talking to the locals.  If we had played spot the tourist, H would have won for sure!


After shopping, we headed to the beach.  It was a much better day for it but after the rough seas on Sunday none of us had come prepared for swimming.  So the kids played with their souvenirs in the water...
 
 
...while the adults looked on.

 
I took my shoes off and went for a walk down the beach.
 
 
 
 
By the time I got back plans were in the works to take a flat bottomed boat ride in the ocean thanks to Suzy & John.  This was our captain who was quite a joker.  He had an island name (everyone has one) but I've forgotten what it was.
 
 
He showed us the ghost ship from the movie Pirates of the Carribbean...
 

and multimillion dollar homes...
 
 
and then it was back to the open ocean.
 
 
C enjoyed it so much that he fell asleep.
 
 
The vote was unanimous at the end - the boat ride was amazing!  Thanks to Suzy & John for the execution of a brilliant idea.
 
 
We returned to our boat and set sail for home. 
 
 
For someone who loves to travel there is nothing better than setting eyes on a corner of the earth you've never seen before - looking, learning & experiencing just a little bit of what life there might be like.  I'm grateful for the generosity of my friends who allowed me to experience this with them.  You guys are amazing!
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Oh Beth, what a wonderful gift..I am so glad you were able to do this cruise. I love water and the carribean ocean would be incredible..
    Keep up the pictures, I love seeing them and all your captions..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...