Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Remembering 2012

I'm ringing in the new year here on the blog with a little reflection on 2012 and some of the things for which I am incredibly thankful.  So in no particular order here are some of the blessings of 2012.

I had an amazing first half of 2012 hanging out in my classroom at Sahel Academy with some sweet kids.  There were giggles, there was fun, there was celebration and we even managed to squeeze in some learning too.  Those days were full of joy!


Peace was a blessing that came in the midst of the flood at Sahel Academy.  In March or so of last year, I had been asked to consider staying on another year because of the staffing crisis at Sahel.  I prayed about it but really felt like God was directing me home.  Having received that clear direction from God, there was peace in my heart during the flood because I knew somehow that God wanted me at home and not in the middle of it.  I was thankful for that assurance because it was difficult to watch my colleagues and friends wading through those waters and not be able to do anything but pray.


Not everyone would get excited about driving straight across the country and back but I sure did!  It was fun to see the land, marvel at its vastness and see the creativity of God in it all.  I am thankful for the opportunity I had in 2012 to travel.


One of the surprise blessings of 2012 was finding that I actually enjoyed the speaking opportunities that came my way.  Speaking in public was one of the things that struck fear in my heart when I began this journey of being a missionary. Imagine my surprise when I found that I was actually enjoying the opportunities that God sent my way to share the ministry of Sahel Academy and some of the things that God has taught me in these last few years.  Sharing at Wesley Christian Academy was a special blessing because I was reminded of how much I love teaching.

Friendship could no doubt appear on my list of blessings every year.  But this year I'm particularly thankful to have been able to connect with friends that I haven't seen in awhile.  (Note to self:  Don't forget to take pictures of your friends in Toronto!)


 
My Dad has been a blessing in my life for the last 36 years -loving me, caring for me, laughing with me, encouraging me and challenging me spiritually.  It was wonderful to be here to celebrate his 80th birthday with him on December 13th when we went to Outback as a family and then a couple of days later when we surprised him with a party in his honor.

Create a birthday video at Animoto

And that brings me to the last blessing I want to mention - that of being with my family.  I'm not going to lie, I do miss having my own place to call home but it's been an incredible blessing to be with my family for both Thanksgiving and Christmas.  There is just something so comfortable about being home for the holidays.  Home where you are accepted.  Home where you are understood.  Home where your humour is appreciated.  Home where you are forgiven for a grumpy day.  Home where you are given grace you don't deserve.  Home where you are loved and accepted.  I'm thankful for the blessing of being home!

2 comments:

  1. Thankful that when we are both done seeing old friends, traveling and reveling in family, we'll get to hang out and catch up on the other side with all that God has been teaching us this year. Miss you, friend! Happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...