Sunday, September 29, 2013

For Old Time's Sake


Do you remember when cheese came in a can?  During my earliest years growing up in Nigeria, if we had cheese it had either crossed the ocean with us on our return from furlough or it came from a can just like this one. (At least that's the way I remember things...I wasn't exactly doing the shopping!)

 
We have no lack of yummy cheeses here in Niamey but I was in a little store on Saturday that happened to have cheese in a can so I decided to buy some just for old time's sake.  You know how the nostalgia of things from your childhood can get to you sometimes!
 
 
 
It was just as I remember it and the only thing that would have made it better is if I had been pulled over somewhere alongside a road eating cheese sandwiches under the shade of an African tree with my family.  Mom, Dad, Kent, I can send you a can....on second thought, perhaps you should just go out and buy yourself some Kraft cheese slices.  It's about the same thing!

2 comments:

  1. Yep, that's the way it was back in the good old days in Nigeria! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think it was quite as bad as what Deb was saying but there are definitely more delicious and much more fresh cheeses here. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...