Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Red Carpet Treatment

When I arrived at the Charles De Gaulle Airport in Paris, I was herded down an escalator with two other families from Niger and what felt like a couple hundred more people to wait on the airport bus system.  Little did my friends know that they were in the presence of celebrity or they might not have left in such a hurry for London.  At the very least, they might have snapped a picture before leaving.

As with most celebrities, the beginnings were humble.  When I arrived on the scene things were quiet.  One might have even been able to hear the plants growing in this vertical garden. 
There was time to buy a French pastry and a coke and enjoy a quiet morning in the airport.

But as time went on excitement began to build!  Photographers and videographers arrived and began snapping pictures and filming. 
A celloist appeared, sat down and began to grace his audience with beautiful music.  An Air France receiving line formed to provide a warm welcome on to the plane.

And I...well, I let it all go to my head and started snapping pictures of myself.  After all, everyone else was doing it!
So it was that as I passed down the reception line of cheering and clapping Air France employees, I learned that my moment in the spotlight had come because I was a passenger on the first plane to leave the newest terminal in the Charles De Gaulle Airport. 

Good thing the red carpet treatment had nothing to do with me because I can see that I might get quickly carried away with it all...unless of course, it came with a first class seat!  I wouldn't have argued with that.

7 comments:

  1. I was going to say....I never saw that wall of plants at CDG. No wonder! Did you get to break a bottle of champagne over something? ;) But I bet you still had to ride a bus to get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wall of plants is pretty cool! No breaking of champagne bottles - perhaps that means I haven't actually attained celebrity status! :)

      Delete
  2. wow, I'll have to tell Mikaylah that her teacher is famous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Pretends to be famous might be more like it! :)

      Delete
  3. I just love you!!
    Come to Kalamazoo, we'll treat as a celebrity :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that I've been there, I just want to add that I was dying to take a picture of the bathroom. But I thought the other ladies in there might not appreciate it. Now if we'd been together, I'd have had you pose at the sink or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That's funny, Nancy! They were cleaning obsessively when I was there. There was never a moment when noone was in the bathroom. I really wanted to brush my teeth but I felt bad spitting into their beautiful sink...especially in front of them! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...