Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Anne's Day - Day 4

Day 4 was Anne's Day. Tourist Season really kicks into gear here around the beginning of July because school doesn't finish in Canada until the end of June. That means it's really quiet here which is nice but it also means that not everything is quite as animated as it would be in high season. We are staying right down the road from Lucy Maud Montgomery's inspiration for Green Gables. So we started there. The gardens were beautiful. Mom and I took a turn on the bench. Remember Anne and the rat that she found in the crock of pudding she was serving to Miss Stacey - had to take a picture of that. Here was Anne's room...the puffed sleeves give it away. Then we took a stroll down Lover's Lane. There were quotes from the journals of Lucy Maud Montgomery throughout the trail. She had quite a way of describing things. Here was one quote that caught my attention because of the picture it created:

"It has always seemed to me. ever since early childhood, amid all the commonplaces of life, I was very near to a kingdom of ideal beauty. Between it and me hung only a thin veil. I could never draw it quite aside, but sometimes a wind fluttered it and I caught a glimpse of the enchanting realms beyond-only a glimpse-but those glimpses have always made life worthwhile." -Lucy Maude Montgomery

Very romantic! Wouldn't you say?
It's hard to believe looking at the success they have become, that Lucy Maud Montgomery's manuscript for Anne was actually rejected five times before she finally got it published. I stopped and sent a few postcards from the Green Gables post office where you get your postcards postmarked with a cute little hat and braids stamp.
And that was Day 4!

1 comment:

  1. Sigh. I remember strolling down Lover's Lane and enjoying a bottle of delicious Raspberry Cordial. I didn't know about the post office though! Shucks! We missed out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...